Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

It has been an incredible couple of days--smile. We decided to take a day off of work, the two of us, and go to the Dubuque Museum and Aquarium. We have talked about going for some time as it comes highly recommended. It was wonderful and it is especially perfect if you have younger children with short attention spans because it is small, but very interactive. I will share pictures another day.

But for now I wanted to share a bit of my creativity. When one of our Vice President (and my mentor) left our College to go to another College we all pitched in to make her a scrapbook. I couldn't resist adding some pages. So this is one of my submitted pages. I incorporated a mini-book into my page. Within the book I included pages of different teams within the College that were under her direction. I had such a wonderful time creating this for her. My other pictures, outside of the mini-book included photos of sunrises in the county where she was going to and a sunset on the counties she was leaving. I wanted to give the book the gift of flight...flight to find new pathways and flight to inspire. She was spreading her wings...

Each page within the mini-book not only had pictures, but I created pockets (made from textured fabric) that held large tags (many sizes and shapes)that I disseminated to people I knew were very close to her. I asked them to do a little journaling to send her forward. They did such a wonderful job. I was even able to get in contact with those who would be working directly with her at her new school and asked them to fill in tags as a greeting. It turned out so well and I felt that it would provide her with the warmth of ourselves even after she had left. (I blocked out faces to protect their identities). The left-side shows one of the pockets and the tags I was talking about.

No comments: